Prime accused in Amta gang-rape case arrested
Howrah: The prime accused in the gang rape case of two women of a family at Muktirchowk under Amta Police Station has been arrested on Sunday, police said.
Barun Makhan, a ruling TMC member, was arrested from the Gadiala area, said police.
Seven others were earlier arrested in the case who were sent to 7 days of police custody.
The two victims, one in her mid twenties and her mother-in law were in their home on Tuesday night when eight persons barged in and raped them before escaping, police said.
The CPI (M) and Congress have alleged that TMC supporters were involved in the gang rape and the ruling party was trying to shield them.
However, TMC has rubbished the allegations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Brexit: UK goes to polls in knife-edge EU referendum; over 46 million people to decide Britain's fate
- 'US will continue to expand defense systems to protect South Korea, regional allies from North Korean missiles'
- Bandits kill 31 bush taxi passengers in Madagascar
- North Korean leader Kim Jong-Un hails successful test of new missile, says it can strike US Pacific bases
- LIC chairman S K Roy resigns two years before his term ends