Private bus operators on strike in Kolkata
Kolkata: Commuters were greatly inconvenienced on the first day of the week today due to a 24-hour bus strike called by six unions of private bus operators demanding immediate fare hike.
Private buses were almost off the roads in the city, except on some routes. Taxis were, however, plying.
Though the government is running its fleet of buses and trams all of them were overcrowded.
The only fare hike since Mamata Banerjee-led Trinamool Congress government came to power was on November 1, 2012.
The private bus operators including the Joint Council of Bus Syndicate and Bengal Bus Syndicate and some mini bus operators associations have called the strike demanding fare revision in view of the hike in the price of diesel.
West Bengal Transport Minister Madan Mitra said the government was not considering the demand.
"We are appealing to the unions to withdraw the strike. We will not allow any harassment of the commuters," he said adding additional state government buses were being run today.
Bus unions had called off a 48-hour strike in September last year a few hours after it started as the government did not pay heed to their demand to raise fares.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'