Probe into Kolkata hospital`s `no` to treat accident victims
Kolkata: The West Bengal government on Wednesday ordered an inquiry into the allegations against a private
hospital here that it refused to treat some persons injured in
a road accident that left six dead in 24 South Paraganas
Peerless Hospital had yesterday allegedly refused to
offer emergency first-aid to the injured and demanded money to
be deposited in advance before initiating treatment after
which enraged locals ransacked the nursing home.
"I asked the Health Secretary Samar Ghosh to make an
inquiry why the hospital was ransacked. What prompted such a
rampage causing huge losses to the hospital? Who was
responsible for this and also if the allegations of refusal to
treat the patients and demand money in advance is true,"
Chief Secretary Asok Mohan Chakraborty told reporters here.
"Refusal to treat persons seriously injured in a road
accident and demand deposit money before beginning treatment
is unethical and contrary to the Clinical Establishment Rules,
2003. It`s also contrary to a Supreme Court ruling," he said.
If the allegations were found to be true, action would
be taken against it, he said, adding even the licence of the
hospital can be suspended.
The alleged refusal of the Peerless Hospital had led to
heated exchanges between the staff and the locals after which
a mob of over 200 people gatecrashed the hospital and set fire
to furniture, medical equipment, stretchers, and ransacked the
restaurant inside the hospital.
Police had to use batons and fire a few rounds in the air
to disperse the crowd.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez