Probe into Kolkata hospital`s `no` to treat accident victims
Kolkata: The West Bengal government on Wednesday ordered an inquiry into the allegations against a private
hospital here that it refused to treat some persons injured in
a road accident that left six dead in 24 South Paraganas
Peerless Hospital had yesterday allegedly refused to
offer emergency first-aid to the injured and demanded money to
be deposited in advance before initiating treatment after
which enraged locals ransacked the nursing home.
"I asked the Health Secretary Samar Ghosh to make an
inquiry why the hospital was ransacked. What prompted such a
rampage causing huge losses to the hospital? Who was
responsible for this and also if the allegations of refusal to
treat the patients and demand money in advance is true,"
Chief Secretary Asok Mohan Chakraborty told reporters here.
"Refusal to treat persons seriously injured in a road
accident and demand deposit money before beginning treatment
is unethical and contrary to the Clinical Establishment Rules,
2003. It`s also contrary to a Supreme Court ruling," he said.
If the allegations were found to be true, action would
be taken against it, he said, adding even the licence of the
hospital can be suspended.
The alleged refusal of the Peerless Hospital had led to
heated exchanges between the staff and the locals after which
a mob of over 200 people gatecrashed the hospital and set fire
to furniture, medical equipment, stretchers, and ransacked the
restaurant inside the hospital.
Police had to use batons and fire a few rounds in the air
to disperse the crowd.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH