Probe into Kolkata hospital`s `no` to treat accident victims
Kolkata: The West Bengal government on Wednesday ordered an inquiry into the allegations against a private
hospital here that it refused to treat some persons injured in
a road accident that left six dead in 24 South Paraganas
Peerless Hospital had yesterday allegedly refused to
offer emergency first-aid to the injured and demanded money to
be deposited in advance before initiating treatment after
which enraged locals ransacked the nursing home.
"I asked the Health Secretary Samar Ghosh to make an
inquiry why the hospital was ransacked. What prompted such a
rampage causing huge losses to the hospital? Who was
responsible for this and also if the allegations of refusal to
treat the patients and demand money in advance is true,"
Chief Secretary Asok Mohan Chakraborty told reporters here.
"Refusal to treat persons seriously injured in a road
accident and demand deposit money before beginning treatment
is unethical and contrary to the Clinical Establishment Rules,
2003. It`s also contrary to a Supreme Court ruling," he said.
If the allegations were found to be true, action would
be taken against it, he said, adding even the licence of the
hospital can be suspended.
The alleged refusal of the Peerless Hospital had led to
heated exchanges between the staff and the locals after which
a mob of over 200 people gatecrashed the hospital and set fire
to furniture, medical equipment, stretchers, and ransacked the
restaurant inside the hospital.
Police had to use batons and fire a few rounds in the air
to disperse the crowd.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- When Kareena Kapoor Khan got 'emotional' while walking Lakme Fashion Week runway
- Two dead, 41 hurt in bus crash involving Louisiana flood-relief volunteers
- Three accused of 2009 Sri Lanka cricket team attack killed, claims Pakistan
- Heart failure among the aged may triple by 2060
- Shahid Kapoor holding his newly born daughter is the cutest thing you will see today! – Pic inside