Probe ordered into death of vagrants
Kolkata: Concerned over the "inhuman" living conditions in a state-run home for vagrants in the metropolis, the West Bengal Human Rights Commission (WBHRC) has ordered the state government to conduct a probe into the reported death of 96 inmates last year.
Taking suo motu cognisance of media reports, the human rights panel also asked the principal secretary of the Social Welfare Department to submit the report in three weeks with his comments, WBHRC sources said.
Media reports claimed most of the deaths at the home in south Kolkata`s Dhakuria took place because of malnutrition and lack of medical facilities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Failed to secure confirmed reservation in train? Now you can travel in pantry car!
- Europe to 'free up space' by kicking out tens of thousands of Pakistanis
- Vladimir Putin rages as Turkey shoots down Russian plane