Probe ordered into death of vagrants
Kolkata: Concerned over the "inhuman" living conditions in a state-run home for vagrants in the metropolis, the West Bengal Human Rights Commission (WBHRC) has ordered the state government to conduct a probe into the reported death of 96 inmates last year.
Taking suo motu cognisance of media reports, the human rights panel also asked the principal secretary of the Social Welfare Department to submit the report in three weeks with his comments, WBHRC sources said.
Media reports claimed most of the deaths at the home in south Kolkata`s Dhakuria took place because of malnutrition and lack of medical facilities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore
- 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' impact: Govt agrees to help deaf-and-dumb Indian girl stranded in Pakistan
- Govt doesn't want you to even watch porn in private, blocks over 800 sites
- Ban on internet porn: Here's why it is impossible