Probe ordered into death of vagrants
Kolkata: Concerned over the "inhuman" living conditions in a state-run home for vagrants in the metropolis, the West Bengal Human Rights Commission (WBHRC) has ordered the state government to conduct a probe into the reported death of 96 inmates last year.
Taking suo motu cognisance of media reports, the human rights panel also asked the principal secretary of the Social Welfare Department to submit the report in three weeks with his comments, WBHRC sources said.
Media reports claimed most of the deaths at the home in south Kolkata`s Dhakuria took place because of malnutrition and lack of medical facilities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days