Prof in anti-Mamata cartoon case granted bail
Kolkata: The Jadavpur University professor Ambikesh Mahaptara who was arrested on Friday morning by West Bengal police for allegedly forwarding derogatory cartoons representing Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee was granted bail later in the day.
"Professor Ambikesh Mohapatra has been arrested for spreading derogatory messages against respectable persons," Deputy Commissioner of Kolkata Police (south suburban division) Sujoy Chanda had said.
He, however, refused to divulge the names of the `respectable persons` who have been defamed in the e-mail.
He was arrested and taken to the East Jadavpur Police station early today.
It is being said that the professor forwarded the mails to at least 65 people.
Meanwhile Mamata Banerjee defending her decision said that if someone commits a crime then he will be arrested. She said that the professor was held because of his wrong deeds. She also attacked the Opposition saying that the CPM had the habit of raising ‘trivial’ issues.
Predictably the Opposition attacked the Trinamool Congress leader on the whole issue saying that the basic freedom of speech and expression was being curtailed in West Bengal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested