Prof in anti-Mamata cartoon case granted bail
Kolkata: The Jadavpur University professor Ambikesh Mahaptara who was arrested on Friday morning by West Bengal police for allegedly forwarding derogatory cartoons representing Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee was granted bail later in the day.
"Professor Ambikesh Mohapatra has been arrested for spreading derogatory messages against respectable persons," Deputy Commissioner of Kolkata Police (south suburban division) Sujoy Chanda had said.
He, however, refused to divulge the names of the `respectable persons` who have been defamed in the e-mail.
He was arrested and taken to the East Jadavpur Police station early today.
It is being said that the professor forwarded the mails to at least 65 people.
Meanwhile Mamata Banerjee defending her decision said that if someone commits a crime then he will be arrested. She said that the professor was held because of his wrong deeds. She also attacked the Opposition saying that the CPM had the habit of raising ‘trivial’ issues.
Predictably the Opposition attacked the Trinamool Congress leader on the whole issue saying that the basic freedom of speech and expression was being curtailed in West Bengal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!