Prof in anti-Mamata cartoon case granted bail
Kolkata: The Jadavpur University professor Ambikesh Mahaptara who was arrested on Friday morning by West Bengal police for allegedly forwarding derogatory cartoons representing Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee was granted bail later in the day.
"Professor Ambikesh Mohapatra has been arrested for spreading derogatory messages against respectable persons," Deputy Commissioner of Kolkata Police (south suburban division) Sujoy Chanda had said.
He, however, refused to divulge the names of the `respectable persons` who have been defamed in the e-mail.
He was arrested and taken to the East Jadavpur Police station early today.
It is being said that the professor forwarded the mails to at least 65 people.
Meanwhile Mamata Banerjee defending her decision said that if someone commits a crime then he will be arrested. She said that the professor was held because of his wrong deeds. She also attacked the Opposition saying that the CPM had the habit of raising ‘trivial’ issues.
Predictably the Opposition attacked the Trinamool Congress leader on the whole issue saying that the basic freedom of speech and expression was being curtailed in West Bengal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Car crushed between 2 trucks in Telangana, 5 dead
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system?
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part II
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part III
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part IV
- Israel's Lieberman agrees terms to join Netanyahu government - spokesman
- Greece starts moving migrants from squalid border camp
- Vietnamese dissident a reluctant tourist during Obama visit
- Islamic State "falsely claiming" attacks in Bangladesh
- Protests turn violent outside Donald Trump's rally; clashes erupt