Protest staged against Barasat rape-murder in WB
Kolkata: People from diverse fields on Thursday staged a rally in the city to condemn the brutal rape and murder of a college student at Barasat in North 24-Parganas district and demanded that the culprits be brought to book immediately.
Celebrated actor and film-maker Aparna Sen said it was very sad that West Bengal topped the list of states with most number of crimes against women.
Sen, who championed women`s rights through her films, wondered what would be the situation in rural areas with no street lights if well-lit urban streets in the state had to endure this.
She demanded that the perpetrators of the Barasat crime be punished immediately.
Others who had attended the rally included poet Sunanda Sanyal, playwright Bibhas Chakrabarty and actor Kaushik Sen.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- New SC bench to hear 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts convict Yakub Memon's plea on Wednesday
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?