Protest staged against Barasat rape-murder in WB
Kolkata: People from diverse fields on Thursday staged a rally in the city to condemn the brutal rape and murder of a college student at Barasat in North 24-Parganas district and demanded that the culprits be brought to book immediately.
Celebrated actor and film-maker Aparna Sen said it was very sad that West Bengal topped the list of states with most number of crimes against women.
Sen, who championed women`s rights through her films, wondered what would be the situation in rural areas with no street lights if well-lit urban streets in the state had to endure this.
She demanded that the perpetrators of the Barasat crime be punished immediately.
Others who had attended the rally included poet Sunanda Sanyal, playwright Bibhas Chakrabarty and actor Kaushik Sen.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding
- Suresh Raina denies Lalit Modi's match-fixing allegation, mulls legal action against former IPL boss