Protests force American Center to close for 2 days
Kolkata: The US consulate has announced closure of the American Center here, including the library, on Thursday and Friday as a precautionary measure in view of demonstrations on the two days by Muslim organisations over an anti-Islam video.
"Due to planned protest demonstration, American Center is closed on October 4 and 5," its director Jeffrey Reneau said here.
Reneau said a notice has been issued and the consulate has asked US citizens to avoid demonstrations in the metropolis.
There was a half-day shutdown by the American Center earlier on September 27 when Muslim organisations held a demonstration against the anti-Islam video and sought apology from the US authorities. It resulted in huge traffic jams here.
Security has been increased around the American Center and the US consulate here with armed police posted outside.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre