Protests force American Center to close for 2 days
Kolkata: The US consulate has announced closure of the American Center here, including the library, on Thursday and Friday as a precautionary measure in view of demonstrations on the two days by Muslim organisations over an anti-Islam video.
"Due to planned protest demonstration, American Center is closed on October 4 and 5," its director Jeffrey Reneau said here.
Reneau said a notice has been issued and the consulate has asked US citizens to avoid demonstrations in the metropolis.
There was a half-day shutdown by the American Center earlier on September 27 when Muslim organisations held a demonstration against the anti-Islam video and sought apology from the US authorities. It resulted in huge traffic jams here.
Security has been increased around the American Center and the US consulate here with armed police posted outside.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Ganga river crosses danger mark in UP, Bihar and West Bengal
- NDMC issues notices to President's Estate for mosquito breeding
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society
- 7th Pay Commission: Government employees likely to get revised allowances from October
- 'Nervous' Pakistan lodges FIR against Baloch leaders for 'supporting' PM Modi's statement on Balochistan
- Amnesty row: Karnataka Home Minister G Parameshwara takes U-turn, denies giving clean-chit
- Volkswagen cuts 28,000 workers' hours over supply woes
- 1% TCS on cash buy not to apply on embassies, UN bodies, Govt depts