Protests outside former justice A K Ganguly`s office
Kolkata: President Pranab Mukherjee was petitioned by an NGO on World Human Rights Day on Tuesday to consider whether former Supreme Court judge A K Ganguly who has been accused of sexually harassing an intern and refused to resign as WBHRC chief, could be arrested.
"Mr Ganguly has now been shameless in retaining the post of Chairman of West Bengal Human Rights Commission in spite of the Supreme Court panel findings and the police have not filed an FIR so far because he belongs to the clan of high profile people," the memorandum to the President through West Bengal Governor M K Narayanan said.
Earlier, women rights activist Santasree Chaudhuri and activists of the NGO `Bharat Bachao Sangathan` at a rally before the WBHRC office shouted `Shame Shame` and demanded the arrest and resignation from the WBHRC of Justice Ganguly.
NGO President, Vineet Ruia, said her organisation expressed solidarity with the woman victim who was allegedly harassed by Ganguly in a hotel room in Delhi last year.
Denying allegations of the intern, Justice Ganguly has refused to resign from the WBHRC.
A committee of three judges of the apex court had indicted Ganguly for `unwelcome behaviour` and `conduct of sexual nature` toward the woman.
West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee has twice written to the President asking him to take appropriate action urgently.
Trinamool Congress MP Derek O`Brien tweeted that Ganguly should step down today which was World Human Rights Day.
Senior BJP leader Sushma Swaraj and party MP Smriti Irani have also demanded his resignation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi