Protests outside former justice A K Ganguly`s office
Kolkata: President Pranab Mukherjee was petitioned by an NGO on World Human Rights Day on Tuesday to consider whether former Supreme Court judge A K Ganguly who has been accused of sexually harassing an intern and refused to resign as WBHRC chief, could be arrested.
"Mr Ganguly has now been shameless in retaining the post of Chairman of West Bengal Human Rights Commission in spite of the Supreme Court panel findings and the police have not filed an FIR so far because he belongs to the clan of high profile people," the memorandum to the President through West Bengal Governor M K Narayanan said.
Earlier, women rights activist Santasree Chaudhuri and activists of the NGO `Bharat Bachao Sangathan` at a rally before the WBHRC office shouted `Shame Shame` and demanded the arrest and resignation from the WBHRC of Justice Ganguly.
NGO President, Vineet Ruia, said her organisation expressed solidarity with the woman victim who was allegedly harassed by Ganguly in a hotel room in Delhi last year.
Denying allegations of the intern, Justice Ganguly has refused to resign from the WBHRC.
A committee of three judges of the apex court had indicted Ganguly for `unwelcome behaviour` and `conduct of sexual nature` toward the woman.
West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee has twice written to the President asking him to take appropriate action urgently.
Trinamool Congress MP Derek O`Brien tweeted that Ganguly should step down today which was World Human Rights Day.
Senior BJP leader Sushma Swaraj and party MP Smriti Irani have also demanded his resignation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nitish suspends Cabinet Minister Kushwaha over alleged sting operation
- Watch: PM Modi delivers speech at Mumbai Metro Phase-II inauguration
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Panel discussion on the controversial sacking of Asim Ahmed Khan from AAP
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- India planning to buy Russian S-400 Triumf air defence missile systems: Report
- Watch: How smartly this woman steals smartphone, walks away with it
- India vs South Africa: MS Dhoni disappointed about 'gamble' not paying off
- India vs South Africa, 1st ODI: Rohit's century in vain as Proteas snatch 5-run win