Protests outside former justice A K Ganguly`s office
Kolkata: President Pranab Mukherjee was petitioned by an NGO on World Human Rights Day on Tuesday to consider whether former Supreme Court judge A K Ganguly who has been accused of sexually harassing an intern and refused to resign as WBHRC chief, could be arrested.
"Mr Ganguly has now been shameless in retaining the post of Chairman of West Bengal Human Rights Commission in spite of the Supreme Court panel findings and the police have not filed an FIR so far because he belongs to the clan of high profile people," the memorandum to the President through West Bengal Governor M K Narayanan said.
Earlier, women rights activist Santasree Chaudhuri and activists of the NGO `Bharat Bachao Sangathan` at a rally before the WBHRC office shouted `Shame Shame` and demanded the arrest and resignation from the WBHRC of Justice Ganguly.
NGO President, Vineet Ruia, said her organisation expressed solidarity with the woman victim who was allegedly harassed by Ganguly in a hotel room in Delhi last year.
Denying allegations of the intern, Justice Ganguly has refused to resign from the WBHRC.
A committee of three judges of the apex court had indicted Ganguly for `unwelcome behaviour` and `conduct of sexual nature` toward the woman.
West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee has twice written to the President asking him to take appropriate action urgently.
Trinamool Congress MP Derek O`Brien tweeted that Ganguly should step down today which was World Human Rights Day.
Senior BJP leader Sushma Swaraj and party MP Smriti Irani have also demanded his resignation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Exclusive chat with Bajrangi Bhaijaan's Munni aka Harshaali Malhotra
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Mumbai: Woman pushed off from running local train by robbers
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Delhi's graduate beggar – The amount he earns will shock you!
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security