Puri Shankaracharya blames western influence for rapes
Kolkata: Western influence was one of the main reasons behind the rise in incidents of rape in the country, Sankaracharya of Puri Swami Sri Nischalananda Saraswati said here on Wednesday.
The western influence - films, club culture and drugs has destroyed the age old values and principles of the country. "There is need to change this. Before Independence we were able to maintain our culture and values but in the last 65 years we have lost a great part of it."
"Such horrific incidents (Delhi gangrape) don`t happen all of a sudden. They happen when the thin line of culture and values are crossed in the name of civilisation and development."
The people, the holy man said, should ponder over this and ensure that such incidents don`t happen.
"Earlier sisters and brothers roamed freely but nothing used to happen. There has been decline in human values, emotions ... Our culture and civilization teaches us to respect women, who are our sisters and mothers," he said.
Asked for his comment on the brutal killing of Indian soldiers by Pakistani army, the Sankaracharya said the incident was barbaric and against human values.
Accusing the government of not being strong enough to deal with such incidents, he said "We need to think why is the image of the government and the country so weak that a neighbouring country doesn`t think twice before perpetuating such an act."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends