Ragging charges slapped against Kolkata institute students
Kolkata: Accusing three senior students of ragging, parents of two first-year students at a city`s research institute lodged a police complaint here on Friday.
The two freshers who had joined the Marine Engineering Research Institute here early August hail from Dehradun and Lucknow and, according to their parents, were "mentally and physically harassed by their seniors".
"They are traumatised and we do not want them to continue at the institute," said Lucknow-based Sohail Ahmed, father of one student.
A police complaint has been lodged at the Taratala police station here against three seniors even as the institute`s head MK Ghosh refused to read much into the matter adding "the anti-ragging committee has been directed to take up the matter".
"The institute requires the students to lead a disciplined life and many students face problems in their initial days," said Ghosh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees