Ragging charges slapped against Kolkata institute students
Kolkata: Accusing three senior students of ragging, parents of two first-year students at a city`s research institute lodged a police complaint here on Friday.
The two freshers who had joined the Marine Engineering Research Institute here early August hail from Dehradun and Lucknow and, according to their parents, were "mentally and physically harassed by their seniors".
"They are traumatised and we do not want them to continue at the institute," said Lucknow-based Sohail Ahmed, father of one student.
A police complaint has been lodged at the Taratala police station here against three seniors even as the institute`s head MK Ghosh refused to read much into the matter adding "the anti-ragging committee has been directed to take up the matter".
"The institute requires the students to lead a disciplined life and many students face problems in their initial days," said Ghosh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ganga river crosses danger mark in UP, Bihar and West Bengal
- NDMC issues notices to President's Estate for mosquito breeding
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of loss caused by floods in India
- Kareena Kapoor Khan to kickstart shooting for 'Veere Di Wedding'! Deets inside
- 'Mohenjo Daro' crosses Rs 100 crore-mark worldwide
- Government can't expect RBI to do everything for growth: Bank of Baroda chief
- Banned URLs: Here is the full list of the blocked websites
- Aashif Sheikh turns ragpicker on 'Bhabi Ji Ghar Par Hai'