Rahul Gandhi`s `poor NREGA performer` generates maximum jobs
Purulia: Purulia district in West Bengal, where Congress leader Rahul Gandhi had said, people are worse off than those in Orissa`s poorest Kalahandi area, has since turned the corner.
The district has provided maximum jobs under NREGA in West Bengal making a dramatic turnaround ever since Rahul ticked it off as the worst NREGA performer.
Purulia has provided the highest number of 39 days of employment to 1.49 lakh families till December last year. A total of 1319 families have got 100 days of jobs, district administration officials said.
"Around Rs 70.19 crore has been spent behind wage and durable assets creation. It was achieved by a team work of administrative officials, political functionaries and demand for work by the villagers," district magistrate of Purulia Avanindra Singh told a news agency.
"Planning, fast payment of wages, transparency, regular
monitoring, awareness building among villagers by government
and civil society groups and innovation has brought the
achievement," he said.
Purulia is chronically plagued with poverty, Maoist
insurgency and its high percentage of backward and tribal
population is prone to migration of people for work.
Gandhi had visited the district in April 2009 for an
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof