Rains flood parts of Jalpaiguri, red alert on Teesta
Jalpaiguri: Large parts of Jalpaiguri and Coochbehar districts were flooded following torrential rains in past two days with red alert hoisted at Domohoni point of Teesta, district authorities said.
The irrigation department issued red alert at Domohoni point, an unprotected embankment area, as
Teesta was in spate in the wake of heavy rains in Dooars area and adjoining Bhutan hills for last two days.
Thousands of people in Binaguri, Banarhat, Jateswar in Jalpaiguri and Alipurduar and Hamiltonganj in Coochbehar were marooned as flood waters entered into over 1000 dwellings, a district official said.
The irrigation authorities issued yellow alert on Torsha in Coochbehar district with stretches of NH 31 and the State Highway flooded in pockets under Alipurduar sub-division affecting transport, the official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- Yuvraj Singh outsmarted by Zaheer Khan's rumoured girlfriend Sagarika Ghatge on troll attempt!