Rains flood parts of Jalpaiguri, red alert on Teesta
Jalpaiguri: Large parts of Jalpaiguri and Coochbehar districts were flooded following torrential rains in past two days with red alert hoisted at Domohoni point of Teesta, district authorities said.
The irrigation department issued red alert at Domohoni point, an unprotected embankment area, as
Teesta was in spate in the wake of heavy rains in Dooars area and adjoining Bhutan hills for last two days.
Thousands of people in Binaguri, Banarhat, Jateswar in Jalpaiguri and Alipurduar and Hamiltonganj in Coochbehar were marooned as flood waters entered into over 1000 dwellings, a district official said.
The irrigation authorities issued yellow alert on Torsha in Coochbehar district with stretches of NH 31 and the State Highway flooded in pockets under Alipurduar sub-division affecting transport, the official said.
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- Norway helicopter crash: All 13 people on board dead, 11 bodies recovered
- Britain`s queen joins royal Invictus Games challenge to Obamas -Watch video
- Kerala Assembly Elections 2016: VS Achuthanandan’s one line speech stuns CPM workers
- Actor-politician Shatrughan Sinha says he would be happy to promote Bihar as its brand ambassador
- Good news! Foreigners, NRIs can now book train tickets in India using debit, credit cards