Rainwater seepage into generator causes Kolkata airport black-out
Kolkata: Seepage of rainwater into the
emergency back-up generator at the international airport here
caused the 10-minue blackout in a runway, affecting flight
operations on Monday night, airport officials said here today.
"Preliminary investigations suggest that as the power
supply went off, the emergency back-up generator failed to
function due to seepage of rainwater, causing a mechanical
fault," an airport official told reporters today.
There was total black-out in the runway and the taxiway
for 10 minutes, forcing the Air Traffic Control (ATC) to ask
two planes to hover in the air and delay take-off by a flight
of Air-India and another of Singapore Airlines.
Describing the incident as unprecedented in recent
times, the official said rainwater accumulation had been
caused problems in the airport area.
They said that the manufacturer of the generator was
asked to explain the failure of the machine.
Even after power was restored, the lights in the runway
and taxiway continued to flicker, though three flights,
including those of Lufthansa and Singapore Airlines, took off
in this condition.
Airport Director R Srinavasan said the matter was still
under investigation, but none was suspended for dereliction of
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- BJP-RSS review meet, Day 2: NDA's education policy, Patel quota stir on agenda