Rajya Sabha trial unfair: Justice Soumitra Sen
New Delhi: Calcutta High Court judge Soumitra Sen on Friday termed his trial by the upper house of parliament as "unfair" and said he would challenge the impeachment motion if Lok Sabha too passes it. He claimed the impeachment proceedinds were actually "for busting our judicial system" and he was "made victim of a larger interest".
Sen, who faced a six-hour-long trial and was given a two-hour opportunity to defend himself in the Rajya Sabha, said he was "denied the opportunity" to rebut the charges made by members of the house during the debate on the motion to impeach him moved by Communist Party of India-Marxist member Sitaram Yechury.
The Rajya Sabha Thursday made history by voting by a two-thirds majority to impeach him.
"The Rajya Sabha gave me an unfair trial. I am disappointed, shocked. It is a sad day for Indian democracy. Justice has taken a back foot and politics has taken over," the 53-year-old high court judge said in an interview to a Indian news channel.
"The Rajya Sabha proceedings were not held for my impeachment, it was held for busting our judicial system and I was made a victim of a larger interest," he said.
Asked about the impeachment motion against him going to the Lok Sabha now, Justice Sen said: "I will stand before the Lok Sabha and rebut the charges with facts and evidences."
He claimed that as a junior law officer there may have been errors in handling of the account, but he was not guilty of misappropriation.
"If the Lok Sabha does not reconsider the Rajya Sabha resolution, then I will move the Supreme Court. I`ll carry this fight forward till the last breath of my life."
He claimed his impeachment was to show the country that something was being done against corruption.
"The government is jittery because of the Anna Hazare phenomenon and is desperate to show its people that something is being done for corruption.
Justice Sen said the impeachment motion was "a power game" being fought in the higher levels of Indian democracy on which institution was superior -- judiciary or legislature.
"When one wing (judiciary) steps up ante with regard to corruption, the other wing tries to clip it. The Rajya Sabha conclusion was foregone. I knew it but I wanted the nation to hear my voice," he added.
Noting that the Rajya Sabha vote against him had only made him more resolute in his fight, Justice Sen appealed to the politicians: "You can play your games but don`t make me a victim of your games."
The judge said the Rajya Sabha members had "inflicted serious damage to judiciary" by questioning the judgment that absolved him of the same charges for which he was being impeached by parliament.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks