Ramesh-Mamata to visit Naxal-hit Jangalmahal
New Delhi: Pushing for development in Naxal
strongholds, Union Minister Jairam Ramesh will be visiting
Jangalmahal along with West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata
Banerjee to assess the situation in the Maoist hotbed and
prepare an action plan for the area.
The Jangalmahal visit is for studying the situation there
before working out and implementing a developmental action
plan in line with the `Saranda Action Plan` prepared for
Jharkhand`s Naxal-affected Saranda district.
"Next week, hopefully, Mamata Banerjee and I will go to
Jangalmahal. Road connectivity is the main problem there,"
Ramesh told reporters on the eve of his four-day visit to five
Left Wing Extremism-hit disticts --four in Chattisgarh and one
in Andhra Pradesh.
The Rural Development Minister had sent his Private
Secretary Vineel Krishna to study the development issue in
Jangalmahal after Mamata Banerjee toughened her stand against
Maoists asking them to shun arms as violence and talks could
not go together.
The Minister said he is scheduled to go with Jharkhand
Chief Minister Arjun Munda to Saranda on December 2 and 3.
The Minister has already asked Munda to expedite work on
the action plan outlined for Saranda district in the state.
The Saranda Action Plan included the implementation of
various Rural Development Ministry programmes in the district
through short and medium term interventions to reach out to
the 7,000 tribal households with a population of 36,500.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened