Rape cases: NCW members to visit Kolkata today
Kolkata: Amid reports of a large number of rape cases across West Bengal, a delegation of National Commission for Women (NCW) is scheduled to visit Kolkata on Monday to meet government officials.
NCW member secretary Anita Agnihotri will lead the delegation.
"She will meet state government officials April 3," said Sunanda Mukherjee, chairperson, West Bengal Commission for Women.
Mukherjee, however, denied any knowledge of the NCW delegation meeting the rape victims.
"I really don`t know whether they (NCW) will meet the rape victims or not," she said.
In the last ten months of the Mamata Banerjee-led regime, a number of rape cases have come to light through the media.
The efforts of the West Bengal administration, led by the state`s first woman Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee, to play down an Anglo-Indian woman`s complaint of being "raped at gun point" after late night partying on fashionable Park Street raised the hackles of rights bodies and eminent people.
Banerjee has also denied reports of a widow being raped in Katwa area of Burdwan district by terming it as a `cooked up` case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla