Rebel TMC MP to quit seat on Jan 15
Baidyabati: Rebel Trinamool Congress leader Somen Mitra on Sunday said he will quit as party MP on January 15, severing all links with TMC.
"After stepping down on January 15 as Diamondharbour MP, I will publicly let everyone know in details the reasons and circumstances behind the decision.
But I am severing all contacts with TMC," he said at a function here in Hooghly district.
Mitra, who recalled having joined Trinamool during the height of Singur movement, said lack of unfulfilled promises and several incidents in the state prompted him to take the move.
Union Minister of State for Railways and Baharampur Congress MP Adhir Chowdhury, who was also present at the event held on the occasion of a football tournament, said if someone like Mitra joined Congress, "that will lead to new optimism for Bengal."
Expressing gratitude for Mishra, Chowdhury recalled how in 1996, Mishra, the then WBPCC chief, gave him ticket for Nabagram Lok Sabha seat when the erstwhile CPI(M) government "prevented him from entering Baharampur by initiating a murder case against him."
"Even without my physical presence in Nabagram, I could win with cassettes played during campaigns. Later on, I went on winning thrice from Baharampur," the Congress strongman recalled.
Asked if he had once said Mitra could join Congress only after stepping down from his MP`s post, Chowdhury denied having ever said so.
He said with various factions of TMC at loggerhead, Bengal was witnessing unrest on law and order front.
The football tournament was organised by senior state Congress leader Abdul Mannan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt