Rights panel seeks report on rape remarks against Mamata
Kolkata: The West Bengal Human Rights Commission on Friday took cognisance of obscene comments made by CPI(M) MLA Anisur Rahman against Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee and directed the Director General of Police to file a report within three weeks.
"We have taken cognisance and issued notice with regard to the comments made by Anisur Rahman at Itahar," WBHRC chairman Justice (retd) Ashok Ganguly said here.
"We have asked the DGP to inquire and submit a report within three weeks. He has been directed to collect CDs and other relevant material," Justice Ganguly said.
Rahman, who was a minister in the previous Left Front government, had made the remarks during a political rally at Itahar in North Dinajpur district on Wednesday.
While Rahman, who is the deputy leader of CPI(M) in the Assembly, apologised for his comments at a hurriedly-called press conference at the CPI(M) state headquarter, party state secretary Biman Bose said his party did not approve of such comments.
A political storm had erupted when his remarks about the chief minister was aired on TV channels yesterday.
The Trinamool Congress threatened to file defamation notice against Rahman for the comments and filed a privilege notice against him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened