Rights panel summons MP for remarks on Park Street
Kolkata: The West Bengal Human Rights Commission Wednesday issued summons to Trinamool Congress MP Kakoli Ghosh Dastidar who had called the Park Street rape case a "sex deal gone wrong".
"The commission has asked the MP to appear before it and explain the remarks she made about the victim. The commission is offering her a chance to defend herself," the panel`s joint secretary Sujay Kumar Haldar said.
Talking about the Feb 6, 2012, case in which an Anglo-Indian woman was allegedly raped at gunpoint in a moving car in the early hours by a gang of five after picking her up from Park Street, Ghosh Dastidar claimed it to be a "sex deal gone wrong".
"If you are referring to the Park Street case, it was not at all a rape case. It was a misunderstanding between two parties involved in a sexual dealing - the lady and her clients. It was not a rape," Ghosh Dastidar told a TV news channel Dec 28 last year.
The commission has also obtained an approval from the office of Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar to summon the member of parliament (MP).
The commission also urged Kolkata Police to speed up investigations and sought the footage from the television channel wherein the MP made the remarks.
West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee too had courted controversy after she dubbed the allegation as "cooked-up to malign my government".
After more than a year, a court Feb 19 framed charges of gangrape against three of the accused who were arrested.
The police in their charge sheet submitted in May last year named five people, of whom three are behind bars.
However, two others, including prime accused Kader Khan, are yet to be arrested.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured