Rival TU members fight over alleged suicide by CTC staff
Kolkata: Members of two rival trade unions on Sunday fought when the body of an employee of the Calcutta Tramways Corporation, who allegedly committed suicide, was brought to the company`s office.
The family of Gopal Chandra Dey alleged that financial hardship caused by non-payment of salaries and other dues from the company drove him to set himself on fire last Tuesday.
Dey, a resident of Narayanpur in North 24-Parganas district, was admitted to the state-run R G Kar Medical College Hospital in a critical condition with severe burns. He succumbed to his injuries Saturday night.
Members of CPI(M)-affiliated trade union CITU and INTTUC of ruling Trinamool Congress broke into an ugly scuffle when Dey`s body was brought at CTC`s Belgachhia depot in north Kolkata.
CITU leaders blamed the state government for the death of Dey, while INTTUC leaders accused the CITU of playing a dirty game against the government on the issue.
Police brought the situation under control.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Disrupted sleeping habits may cause suicidal thoughts
- US aid to Pakistan shrinks amid mounting frustration over militants
- SC asks Parsvnath to refund home buyers; builder says it can't repay
- Supreme Court admits plea to declare triple talaq illegal; issues notice to Centre
- Philippine govt, Communist rebels agree on indefinite truce: Norway