Rival TU members fight over alleged suicide by CTC staff
Kolkata: Members of two rival trade unions on Sunday fought when the body of an employee of the Calcutta Tramways Corporation, who allegedly committed suicide, was brought to the company`s office.
The family of Gopal Chandra Dey alleged that financial hardship caused by non-payment of salaries and other dues from the company drove him to set himself on fire last Tuesday.
Dey, a resident of Narayanpur in North 24-Parganas district, was admitted to the state-run R G Kar Medical College Hospital in a critical condition with severe burns. He succumbed to his injuries Saturday night.
Members of CPI(M)-affiliated trade union CITU and INTTUC of ruling Trinamool Congress broke into an ugly scuffle when Dey`s body was brought at CTC`s Belgachhia depot in north Kolkata.
CITU leaders blamed the state government for the death of Dey, while INTTUC leaders accused the CITU of playing a dirty game against the government on the issue.
Police brought the situation under control.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday