Rival TU members fight over alleged suicide by CTC staff
Kolkata: Members of two rival trade unions on Sunday fought when the body of an employee of the Calcutta Tramways Corporation, who allegedly committed suicide, was brought to the company`s office.
The family of Gopal Chandra Dey alleged that financial hardship caused by non-payment of salaries and other dues from the company drove him to set himself on fire last Tuesday.
Dey, a resident of Narayanpur in North 24-Parganas district, was admitted to the state-run R G Kar Medical College Hospital in a critical condition with severe burns. He succumbed to his injuries Saturday night.
Members of CPI(M)-affiliated trade union CITU and INTTUC of ruling Trinamool Congress broke into an ugly scuffle when Dey`s body was brought at CTC`s Belgachhia depot in north Kolkata.
CITU leaders blamed the state government for the death of Dey, while INTTUC leaders accused the CITU of playing a dirty game against the government on the issue.
Police brought the situation under control.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Jaya and Amitabh Bachchan living separately: Amar Singh makes shocking revelations