Rival TU members fight over alleged suicide by CTC staff
Kolkata: Members of two rival trade unions on Sunday fought when the body of an employee of the Calcutta Tramways Corporation, who allegedly committed suicide, was brought to the company`s office.
The family of Gopal Chandra Dey alleged that financial hardship caused by non-payment of salaries and other dues from the company drove him to set himself on fire last Tuesday.
Dey, a resident of Narayanpur in North 24-Parganas district, was admitted to the state-run R G Kar Medical College Hospital in a critical condition with severe burns. He succumbed to his injuries Saturday night.
Members of CPI(M)-affiliated trade union CITU and INTTUC of ruling Trinamool Congress broke into an ugly scuffle when Dey`s body was brought at CTC`s Belgachhia depot in north Kolkata.
CITU leaders blamed the state government for the death of Dey, while INTTUC leaders accused the CITU of playing a dirty game against the government on the issue.
Police brought the situation under control.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?