River embankment collapses in West Bengal’s Malda district
Malda (West Bengal): A lengthy stretch of an embankment on the River Fulohar collapsed in the Malda region of West Bengal over the weekend.
This has resulted in floods, submerging houses in several villages located along the river banks and displacing 30,000 residents.
The residents of affected villages accused the government of turning a blind eye to the calamity and their woes.
The embankment of the Fulohar, one of the tributaries of River Ganga, collapsed and the gushing waters engulfed more than 15 villages in the Harishchandrapur Block.
According to locals, the embankment collapsed in the early hours of Saturday.
The situation is worsening day by day as the water is rising continuously equivalent to two or three hands,” said Kabita Das, a local resident.
However, the district administration claimed of having taken steps to restore normalcy in the affected villages at the earliest.
Malda’s District Magistrate Kiran Kumar said, “Officials of our Engineering and Irrigation Department are working together. Wherever it is possible they are making temporary embankments. The officials are also engaged in rescue and relief operations. We have also urged both the state and federal governments to send a team of disaster management experts so as to speed up the rescue operations.”
While India has struggled to recover from devastating floods in Uttarakhand, other areas of the country are at risk as heavy monsoon rains inundate already burgeoning rivers, prompting authorities to evacuate tens of thousands of people, aid workers and government officials said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested
- Mohammad Kaif takes a subtle dig at Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad after he hit Air India official with slippers