River embankment collapses in West Bengal’s Malda district
Malda (West Bengal): A lengthy stretch of an embankment on the River Fulohar collapsed in the Malda region of West Bengal over the weekend.
This has resulted in floods, submerging houses in several villages located along the river banks and displacing 30,000 residents.
The residents of affected villages accused the government of turning a blind eye to the calamity and their woes.
The embankment of the Fulohar, one of the tributaries of River Ganga, collapsed and the gushing waters engulfed more than 15 villages in the Harishchandrapur Block.
According to locals, the embankment collapsed in the early hours of Saturday.
The situation is worsening day by day as the water is rising continuously equivalent to two or three hands,” said Kabita Das, a local resident.
However, the district administration claimed of having taken steps to restore normalcy in the affected villages at the earliest.
Malda’s District Magistrate Kiran Kumar said, “Officials of our Engineering and Irrigation Department are working together. Wherever it is possible they are making temporary embankments. The officials are also engaged in rescue and relief operations. We have also urged both the state and federal governments to send a team of disaster management experts so as to speed up the rescue operations.”
While India has struggled to recover from devastating floods in Uttarakhand, other areas of the country are at risk as heavy monsoon rains inundate already burgeoning rivers, prompting authorities to evacuate tens of thousands of people, aid workers and government officials said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details