Rogue elephants enter IIT-Kharagpur campus, trigger panic
Midnapore (WB): Two rogue elephants entered
the IIT-Kharagpur campus here triggering panic among students
and forcing the authorities to switch off lights to prevent
them going berserk, officials said.
The tuskers, one of which killed a villager and injured
another, broke through the boundary wall after smashing the
emergency quarters just behind it to enter the campus near the
north gate yesterday evening and dropped anchor near a bush,
an IIT official said.
The panicked students, who were at a loss to understand
the sudden black-out, quickly went inside their hostels, he
Announcements were made over loudspeakers asking the
residents of not only the campus, but also the Kharagpur town
to go indoors.
The elephants were finally chased out of the campus late
in the night, forest officials said today.
The tuskers had got separated from the herd sometime back
and after being chased by villagers and forest employees,
moved towards Kharagpur and Midnapore towns through National
Highway 60, they said.
Over the last two days, one of the two had killed a man
and critically injured a woman besides pulling down scores of
houses at Palsha and Radhamohanpur villages on their way up
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details