Rogue elephants enter IIT-Kharagpur campus, trigger panic
Midnapore (WB): Two rogue elephants entered
the IIT-Kharagpur campus here triggering panic among students
and forcing the authorities to switch off lights to prevent
them going berserk, officials said.
The tuskers, one of which killed a villager and injured
another, broke through the boundary wall after smashing the
emergency quarters just behind it to enter the campus near the
north gate yesterday evening and dropped anchor near a bush,
an IIT official said.
The panicked students, who were at a loss to understand
the sudden black-out, quickly went inside their hostels, he
Announcements were made over loudspeakers asking the
residents of not only the campus, but also the Kharagpur town
to go indoors.
The elephants were finally chased out of the campus late
in the night, forest officials said today.
The tuskers had got separated from the herd sometime back
and after being chased by villagers and forest employees,
moved towards Kharagpur and Midnapore towns through National
Highway 60, they said.
Over the last two days, one of the two had killed a man
and critically injured a woman besides pulling down scores of
houses at Palsha and Radhamohanpur villages on their way up
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?