Rogue elephants enter IIT-Kharagpur campus, trigger panic
Midnapore (WB): Two rogue elephants entered
the IIT-Kharagpur campus here triggering panic among students
and forcing the authorities to switch off lights to prevent
them going berserk, officials said.
The tuskers, one of which killed a villager and injured
another, broke through the boundary wall after smashing the
emergency quarters just behind it to enter the campus near the
north gate yesterday evening and dropped anchor near a bush,
an IIT official said.
The panicked students, who were at a loss to understand
the sudden black-out, quickly went inside their hostels, he
Announcements were made over loudspeakers asking the
residents of not only the campus, but also the Kharagpur town
to go indoors.
The elephants were finally chased out of the campus late
in the night, forest officials said today.
The tuskers had got separated from the herd sometime back
and after being chased by villagers and forest employees,
moved towards Kharagpur and Midnapore towns through National
Highway 60, they said.
Over the last two days, one of the two had killed a man
and critically injured a woman besides pulling down scores of
houses at Palsha and Radhamohanpur villages on their way up
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!