Rouvan case: HRD team visits school, demands rpt
New Delhi: A Human Resources Development ministry team on Wednesday visited Kolkata`s La Martinere school and asked it to submit a report about the Rauvanjit Rawla suicide case.
“The two member team visited the school and asked me to provide a report about the suicide of Rouvanjit. I will do that by weekend,” the school secretary informed Zee News.
The committee asked for facts and incidents around the Rouvanjit’s alleged suicide that occurred days after he was caned by his school’s principal.
A three-member team of a child rights body has sought suspension of the principal of Kolkata`s La Martinere School till the completion of a probe into the suicide of a student after he was allegedly subjected
to corporal punishment.
While calling for action against principal Sunirmal
Chakravarthy, the National Commission for Protection of Child
Rights (NCPCR) team has alleged that there were clear linkages
of harrasment and humiliation of 13 year-old Class VIII
student Rauvanjit Rawla in the form of corporal punishment
leading to his death.
The report which was submitted to panel`s chairperson
Shanta Sinha has also recommended suspension of a teacher
"Danian" whose name figures in the police FIR registered by
the deceased`s father.
The school has reportedly rejected the recommendation of the committee what with the Church Of North India, which runs the school, raising questions about the impartiality of the probe.
The CNI strongly questions the role of the NCPCR probe
team as the way they conducted the investigations makes it
clear that they were working with a pre-conceived notion and
that they were not impartial," executive committee member of
the CNI Synod and the Kolkata Diocese Suman Biswas charged.
Rouvanit, a Class VIII student, committed suicide on
February 12, four days after being caned by principal Sunirmal
Chakravarthy for errant behaviour.
The police too is investigating the case under Section
305 IPC (abetment to suicide), which carries a jail term from
10 years to life and even the death penalty. No arrests have
been made yet.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- Barack Obama designates first US LGBT national monument
- DECODED: How 'Brexit' threatens to undermine U.S.-Britain special relationship
- Rajiv Gandhi's assassination: Yet to take decision on premature release of Nalini, Tamil Nadu tells Madras HC
- Geeta wants to undertake a train journey to search her parents
- Magnitude 5.5 quake hits near Chile's copper mining area, says USGS