RPF faces resistance in evicting slums on railway land
Burdwan: The Railway Protection
Force faced resistance with bombs being thrown when they went
to evict two slums on railway land near the Burdwan Railway
Station in Burdwan district on Tuesday.
RPF sources said that bombs were hurled from the slums
after 10 to 15 shanties and a Trinamool Congress party office
Proper notification had been issued to the residents
of the slums in Colony No 14 and Goalpukur by the Area
Engineering Construction Department (AECD) of the Railways on
January 12, the sources said.
The sources said that help had been sought for the
eviction drive from the administration, but none was received.
Additional Superintendent of Police Debashish Sarkar
said that the AECD had sought help for the eviction, but it
could not be provided as sufficient time had not been given.
Burdwan Municipality chairman and local councillor,
Ainul Haque alleged that the AECD had not given proper notice
for the eviction drive which was for the benefit of an EC team
of police officers who were scheduled to visit the district.
He claimed that the slum dwellers had agreed to
cooperate for the eviction on promise of rehabilitation by
Railway Minister Mamata Banerjee, but the RPF had arrived
without giving proper rehabilitation.
Bustee Kalyan Samitee member Lakshmi Bibi alleged that
the RPF beat up women and children and threw out belongings
from the slum, besides molesting women.
She claimed that that Trinamool Congress workers had
distributed forms among the residents for Rs 100 each and had
She also alleged that the Trinamool Congress had
supplied bombs to the RPF men, who threw them.
Another section of slum dwellers, however, counter
alleged that an anti-social Khokon Sen, who had links with the
municipality chairman had attacked the RPF with bombs and beat
The RPF sources said that the eviction drive had been
halted following the resistance and the higher authorities of
the railways informed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145