Rs 650 crore sanctioned for central cancer hospital in WB
Malda (WB): The Centre has sanctioned Rs 650 crore to set up a cancer hospital at Rajarhat near Kolkata, Union Minister of State for Health Abu Hossain Khan Chowdhury said here on Sunday.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh was well aware of the "dismal healthcare scenario" in West Bengal, Khan Chowdhury said, adding that the prime minister had told him about establishing this hospital after he was sworn in as minister last month.
He said he would talk to the West Bengal government for land to set up the hospital which would be built by the Union Health Ministry.
The Prime Minister or UPA president Sonia Gandhi could lay the foundation stone of the hospital, Khan Chowdhury told reporters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- 14-year-old pregnant rape survivor allowed abortion by Supreme Court
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!