RS polls: WB Cong waiting for high command nod
Kolkata: West Bengal Congress is waiting for
the green signal from the party High Command in Delhi to field
a candidate for the coming Rajya Sabha elections to five seats
from the state, PCC chief Pradip Bhattacharya said on Sunday.
"We have the intention to field a candidate, but it
depends on the party High Command to decide," Bhattacharya
With Monday being the last date for filing nomination, he
said, "If the High Command gives the go-ahead, we are prepared
to complete the procedure within a day."
Asked if the decision of the Gorkha Janmukti Morcha, which
has three MLAs and a party-supported independent MLA, not to
participate in the Rajya Sabha elections, would help Congress,
Bhattacharya said, "I know the mathematics, but won`t say
Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee had yesterday said that as
the Trinamool Congress gave a seat to the Congress in the
earlier election to the Upper House, the party was expected to
support the Trinamool in this election.
Of the five seats, Trinamool Congress has fielded four
candidates and CPI(M) one, for which the Left party has the
If the Congress fields its candidate, there will be direct
fight for votes between a Trinamool Congress candidate and
that of its ally.
Asked about Trinamool Congress directive to Railway
Minister Dinesh Trivedi to resign, Bhattacharya only said
"there should be courtesy."
An extended executive committee meeting of the WBPCC also
appreciated the railway budget proposals that have irked the
Trinamool Congress supremo.
Significantly, the PCC president said, "Whether the
alliance will remain or not is not known, but the party will
remain, so it should be strengthened with an eye on the coming
panchayat election in the state."
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read
- Modi govt 'promoting Brahmanism' in the name of 'Hindu Rashtravad': Arundhati Roy
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram