RS polls: WB Cong waiting for high command nod
Kolkata: West Bengal Congress is waiting for
the green signal from the party High Command in Delhi to field
a candidate for the coming Rajya Sabha elections to five seats
from the state, PCC chief Pradip Bhattacharya said on Sunday.
"We have the intention to field a candidate, but it
depends on the party High Command to decide," Bhattacharya
With Monday being the last date for filing nomination, he
said, "If the High Command gives the go-ahead, we are prepared
to complete the procedure within a day."
Asked if the decision of the Gorkha Janmukti Morcha, which
has three MLAs and a party-supported independent MLA, not to
participate in the Rajya Sabha elections, would help Congress,
Bhattacharya said, "I know the mathematics, but won`t say
Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee had yesterday said that as
the Trinamool Congress gave a seat to the Congress in the
earlier election to the Upper House, the party was expected to
support the Trinamool in this election.
Of the five seats, Trinamool Congress has fielded four
candidates and CPI(M) one, for which the Left party has the
If the Congress fields its candidate, there will be direct
fight for votes between a Trinamool Congress candidate and
that of its ally.
Asked about Trinamool Congress directive to Railway
Minister Dinesh Trivedi to resign, Bhattacharya only said
"there should be courtesy."
An extended executive committee meeting of the WBPCC also
appreciated the railway budget proposals that have irked the
Trinamool Congress supremo.
Significantly, the PCC president said, "Whether the
alliance will remain or not is not known, but the party will
remain, so it should be strengthened with an eye on the coming
panchayat election in the state."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- DNA: Reason behind electricity crisis in India despite being power surplus nation
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place