RS votes marked by defection from oppn camp
Kolkata: The Rajya Sabha polls for West Bengal, held on Friday for five seats, was marked by surprises and defections from opposition camp, putting ruling Trinamool Congress in an advantageous position.
In the poll for five seats, Trinamool fielded candidates in four seats, the Left Front in one and Congress along with the Left nominated an Independent A S Malihabadi.
Three Left MLAs Sunil Mondal of Forward Bloc, Ananta Deb Adhikary and Dasarath Tirkey, both from RSP, and Congress legislators Sushil Roy and Himani Biswas voted in favour of Trinamool`s Ahmed Hasan.
The Congress MLA from Sujapur Abu Naser Khan Chowdhury, who had yesterday vowed to vote in favour of Trinamool, however, did not do so today.
Commenting on the developments, Trinamool General Secretary Mukul Roy said "There are known Left leaders who have now voted for us for ideological reasons. We thank them."
CPI(M) leader Abdur Rezzak Mollah retorted, "It is better that such elements, we had earlier inducted in the party, can now be identified."
CPI(M) Politburo member and Leader of the Opposition Surya Kanta Mishra yesterday said that three Left MLAs Sunil Mondal of Forward Bloc, Dasarath Tirkey and Atanu Deb Adhikari of RSP could not be contacted.
"We have been trying to get in touch with them, but have failed to establish any contact," Mishra had claimed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- WhatsApp users now make over 100 million calls everyday!
- Lionel Messi ready for crowning glory in Copa America Centenario final
- If invited for GES, would try to stop by India: Barack Obama
- Brexit not all bad for Indians: Falling Pound to create travel, investment opportunities in UK
- 41 years of Emergency: NDA ministers to attend rallies to highlight Congress' 'excesses' in 1975