Rumblings about Gorkhaland in Darjeeling again
Siliguri: Exactly a month after the West
Bengal government signed a bipartite agreement with the GJM, described as `historic` by West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee, rumblings about `Gorkhaland` are again being heard in the Darjeeling hills.
Gorkha Janmukti Morcha president Bimal Gurung has been
holding meetings in Darjeeling district claiming that none
could resist the formation of Gorkhaland, while urging
partymen in the plains in the Dooars to ensure that the
government assessment team returned convinced that people
there area wanted to be under the new hill council.
At the signing of the bipartite agreement on June 7
the GJM had made a proposal for inclusion of Gorkha-dominated
areas in Dooars and Terai in the plains in adjacent Jalpaiguri
district in the jurisdiction of the proposed council.
The state government had then announced the formation
of a high power, 9-member committee to go into the proposal
and submit its report within six months.
The committee was also to look into the geographical
location and the present status on the disputed territories.
Perhaps to keep the pressure on the state government
on its demand for including 196 moujas in the area, Gurung has
been making references to Gorkhaland at his meetings.
During a one such meeting at Kalchini in the Dooars,
where the GJM`s influence runs, Gurung directed partymen to
ensure that the government assessment team saw GJM flags
fluttering from the majority of households.
The GJM has agreed to an autonomous hill council with
more financial and executive powers, which would replace the
existing Darjeeling Gorkha Hill Council, a long-standing
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...