Rumblings about Gorkhaland in Darjeeling again
Siliguri: Exactly a month after the West
Bengal government signed a bipartite agreement with the GJM, described as `historic` by West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee, rumblings about `Gorkhaland` are again being heard in the Darjeeling hills.
Gorkha Janmukti Morcha president Bimal Gurung has been
holding meetings in Darjeeling district claiming that none
could resist the formation of Gorkhaland, while urging
partymen in the plains in the Dooars to ensure that the
government assessment team returned convinced that people
there area wanted to be under the new hill council.
At the signing of the bipartite agreement on June 7
the GJM had made a proposal for inclusion of Gorkha-dominated
areas in Dooars and Terai in the plains in adjacent Jalpaiguri
district in the jurisdiction of the proposed council.
The state government had then announced the formation
of a high power, 9-member committee to go into the proposal
and submit its report within six months.
The committee was also to look into the geographical
location and the present status on the disputed territories.
Perhaps to keep the pressure on the state government
on its demand for including 196 moujas in the area, Gurung has
been making references to Gorkhaland at his meetings.
During a one such meeting at Kalchini in the Dooars,
where the GJM`s influence runs, Gurung directed partymen to
ensure that the government assessment team saw GJM flags
fluttering from the majority of households.
The GJM has agreed to an autonomous hill council with
more financial and executive powers, which would replace the
existing Darjeeling Gorkha Hill Council, a long-standing
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Watch - Moment of Kabul suicide blast caught on camera
- Devotees throng Lord Shiva temples to celebrate first Monday of 'Saawan'
- Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu launches India's first green rail corridor in Tamil Nadu
- UP: 8 children killed as train hits school mini-bus in Bhadohi
- 1 killed, dozen hurt in building collapse after cylinder blast
- 'Star Wars Episode VIII' officially wraps production
- Watch: 'Kumkum Bhagya' Episode 628—Pragya decides to fight back
- 10 school children die in van-train collision in UP's Bhadohi - Know what led to mishap
- China, North Korea envoys hold talks in Laos