Rumblings about Gorkhaland in Darjeeling again
Siliguri: Exactly a month after the West
Bengal government signed a bipartite agreement with the GJM, described as `historic` by West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee, rumblings about `Gorkhaland` are again being heard in the Darjeeling hills.
Gorkha Janmukti Morcha president Bimal Gurung has been
holding meetings in Darjeeling district claiming that none
could resist the formation of Gorkhaland, while urging
partymen in the plains in the Dooars to ensure that the
government assessment team returned convinced that people
there area wanted to be under the new hill council.
At the signing of the bipartite agreement on June 7
the GJM had made a proposal for inclusion of Gorkha-dominated
areas in Dooars and Terai in the plains in adjacent Jalpaiguri
district in the jurisdiction of the proposed council.
The state government had then announced the formation
of a high power, 9-member committee to go into the proposal
and submit its report within six months.
The committee was also to look into the geographical
location and the present status on the disputed territories.
Perhaps to keep the pressure on the state government
on its demand for including 196 moujas in the area, Gurung has
been making references to Gorkhaland at his meetings.
During a one such meeting at Kalchini in the Dooars,
where the GJM`s influence runs, Gurung directed partymen to
ensure that the government assessment team saw GJM flags
fluttering from the majority of households.
The GJM has agreed to an autonomous hill council with
more financial and executive powers, which would replace the
existing Darjeeling Gorkha Hill Council, a long-standing
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Indian Army prepares to secure Arunachal Pradesh from China
- Priyanka teams with Jodie Foster to reinvent song
- Akshay Kumar hides daughter Nitara's face from the paps and it's so CUTE! Picture proof inside
- Banning cash transactions over Rs 3 lakh under consideration: CBDT
- Both US and India have been tolerant nations since their existence: Acharya Lokesh
- Narsingh Yadav dope case: Grappler took banned substance intentionally, claims CAS