Sachin leaves behind mark of excellence: Mamata
Kolkata: Hailing Sachin Tendulkar as an icon of world cricket, West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee Saturday said the cricketing genius leaves behind an unmistakable mark of excellence.
She also said Tendulkar, who bid adieu to the game, richly deserves the Bharat Ratna which the government announced soon after Tendulkar walked into the sunset after playing his 200th Test match in Mumbai.
"Sachin Tendulkar is an icon of the Indian and world cricket. Legends are forever. They only move from one field to another, leaving behind their unmistakable mark of excellence.
"His sportsmanship qualities, talents, sense of perfection, dedication and loving nature will still be available not only in the field of sports but even in other fields," said Banerjee.
"As the worthiest sports star, he richly deserves the Bharat Ratna which I have been voicing for the last few years. Congratulations Sachin, move ahead Sachin. I wish him long life and brighter future," added Banerjee.
Tendulkar became the first sportsperson to get the country`s highest civilian award.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Jharkhand: Zee Media honors ten environmentalists with Green Warrior Award
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley?
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part II
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part III