Sachin leaves behind mark of excellence: Mamata
Kolkata: Hailing Sachin Tendulkar as an icon of world cricket, West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee Saturday said the cricketing genius leaves behind an unmistakable mark of excellence.
She also said Tendulkar, who bid adieu to the game, richly deserves the Bharat Ratna which the government announced soon after Tendulkar walked into the sunset after playing his 200th Test match in Mumbai.
"Sachin Tendulkar is an icon of the Indian and world cricket. Legends are forever. They only move from one field to another, leaving behind their unmistakable mark of excellence.
"His sportsmanship qualities, talents, sense of perfection, dedication and loving nature will still be available not only in the field of sports but even in other fields," said Banerjee.
"As the worthiest sports star, he richly deserves the Bharat Ratna which I have been voicing for the last few years. Congratulations Sachin, move ahead Sachin. I wish him long life and brighter future," added Banerjee.
Tendulkar became the first sportsperson to get the country`s highest civilian award.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Videos of Indian casualties on Pakistani channels 'doctored', say Army sources
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’