Sale of tobacco near educational institutes; HC raps police
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court on Wednesday rapped
the city police for non-compliance of its earlier directions
asking them to take strict actions to stop sale of tobacco
products within 100 yards of educational institutions and
hospitals saying they are playing with the health of children.
"They have literally done nothing despite our earlier
directions to stop such activities near schools," a division
bench of Chief Justice Dipak Misra and Justice Sanjiv khanna
The court also asked the University of Delhi to file an
affidavit detailing the actions taken by it to stop the sale
of tobacco products near 86 colleges affiliated to it.
After perusing the affidavit filed by the Delhi Police,
the court said it was nothing but a statistical juggling and
in fact they were playing with the health of children.
The court, which was hearing a PIL filed by World Lung
Foundation (South Asia) on alleged continuing sale of tobacco
products, has fixed the matter for further hearing on July 20.
The court also asked the Delhi government to apprise it
of steps taken in this regard.
The court had earlier directed the police to take strict
action against those who sell tobacco within the prohibited
100 yards of educational institutions and hospitals.
The PIL referred to a new survey which has shown that
out of the 726 educational institutions, tobacco outlets were
near 198 of them. In all, there were more than 300 such
The court had asked the police to keep a tab on the
The court had also asked Delhi University to issue
directions to its colleges to appoint nodal officers to ensure
no tobacco outlet is found within a 100-yard radius of the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured