Sarabjit`s death was result of bad handling: Mamata
Kolkata: West Bengal Chief Minister and Trinamool Congress supremo Mamata Banerjee on Thursday attributed the death of Indian death row prisoner in Pakistan Sarabjit Singh to "bad handling of the case".
"I am extremely shocked to learn that Sarabjit Singh is no more. This is the result of bad handling of the case. I have no words to express my anguish. I can only say sorry for the state of affairs that caused this situation," Banerjee said on a social networking site.
"My deepest condolence to the members of the bereaved family, I stand by them at this hour of grief," Banerjee said.
Sarabjit Singh, on death row in Pakistan after conviction in terrorist strikes in Punjab province, Pakistan, had been comatose since April 26, when he was savagely attacked by two fellow prisoners at Kot Lakhpat Jail in Lahore. He had spent over 20 years in jail.
Sarabjit Singh died on Thursday in a Lahore hospital a week after being brutally beaten up by fellow inmates in jail.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'