Saradha chit fund scam: TMC cornered, Mamata sets up relief fund
Zee Media Bureau
Kolkata: A letter bomb by the prime accused in the multi-crore chit fund scam alleging blackmail by two Trinamool Congress MPs blew in the face of the ruling party Wednesday, as Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee announced a Rs 500 crore relief fund for the duped investors.
Scurrying for cover, the Trinamool supremo rejected allegations against the party in the Saradha chit fund scam and promised to take action against anyone found guilty.
The scam snowballed into a major political controversy with the names of two TMC MPs - Kunal Ghosh and Srinjoy Bose - figuring in a letter purportedly written to CBI by the collapsed company`s chairman Sudipto Sen, now in police custody.
In more trouble for Saradha group, the Income Tax (I-T) department will also probe its investments and finances. Showcause notices for production of documents and recording of statements of promoters, investors and prominent agents in this case could be issued soon, top I-T department sources said.
Congress and CPI(M) mounted a fresh attack on the TMC accusing the party of having links with the Saradha group whose Chairman had alleged in the letter to CBI that the two MPs had blackmailed him into parting with huge funds. A number of other politicians, officials and lawyers have been accused of milking the company for money.
Obliquely referring to Ghosh who had recently resigned as the CEO of the Saradha Media Group, which had owned a TV news channel and Bose, editor of a Bengali daily, Banerjee said, "One journalist is being targetted ... There are so many journalists ... There is no use of identifying one channel and one newspaper.
"If any MP of Trinamool Congress has committed an offence, the law will take its own course," she said, accusing the CPI(M) of politicking over a people`s issue.
Rejecting allegations against him, Bose said his paper did have a professional tieup with `Channel 10` TV in 2010 for providing editorial support, but not with the Saradha chit fund company or any other ancillary.
Asked about the antecedents of the Saradha Group chairman, he replied, "We did not know that the man was a fraud."
Bose also said that there was no relationship between his party and the Saradha Group.
Meanwhile, Sudipta Sen and two other Saradha officials were flown to Kolkata after the West Bengal police were granted four days transit remand by a court in Ganderbal in Jammu and Kashmir following their arrest yesterday.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt