Saradha scam: CBI custody of Sen, Kunal Ghosh extended
Kolkata: A court Monday extended the CBI custody of three Saradha chit fund scam accused, including kingpin Sudipta Sen and suspended Trinamool Congress MP Kunal Ghosh, to June 26, while three others were remanded in 14 days` judicial custody, a counsel said.
Saradha promoter Sen, and Ghosh, who headed the group`s media arm, and company employees Debjani Mukherjee, Manoj Nagel, Somnath Dutta and Arvind Singh Chauhan were presented before the court on the expiry of the seven days` CBI custody granted by the court June 16.
"The court of Additional Chief Judicial Magistrate Haradhan Mukhopadhyay extended the CBI custody of Sen, Ghosh and Mukherjee till June 26, while the rest three have been remanded in 14 days` judicial custody," counsel for the accused Anirban Guha Thakurta said.
While Sen and close aide Mukherjee were arrested from Kashmir in April 2013, Ghosh was nabbed in November last year by the state police. The others were arrested subsequently.
Suspended by the Trinamool for "anti-party" activities, Ghosh has repeatedly alleged the involvement of several of his party colleagues in the state`s biggest financial scandal that came to light in April last year.
While being presented before the court, Ghosh expressed happiness over his interrogation by the Central Bureau of Investigation sleuths.
"I had a lot of things to say about the scam and I am happy that I could provide the CBI information that might help them," said Ghosh.
He earlier wrote to the Enforcement Directorate, also probing the scam, expressing fear for his life and urged the agency to interrogate several powerful politicians involved in the scam.
The Supreme Court May 9 ordered a CBI probe into the chit fund scam which duped over 20 lakh people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in