Saradha scam: CBI may call TMC MP Mithun to record his statement
New Delhi: CBI may examine Bollywood actor and Trinamool Congress Rajya Sabha MP Mithun Chakraborty in connection with its probe in the Saradha ponzi scam as the agency has found that he was allegedly part of the promotion exercise undertaken by the promoters.
The agency sources said examination of all those concerned with the schemes, through which thousands of investors were allegedly cheated, will be undertaken by CBI in a structured manner.
The sources said since Chakraborty was part of the promotional exercise undertaken by the promoters, he will also be examined. The sources however refused to give details as to when CBI might call him for recording his statement.
Chakraborty did not respond to SMS seeking his reaction. They said Mithun`s examination was necessary as he was the brand ambassador of a media platform floated by the group. Sources said the investigating agency will record his statement to understand working of the group and flow of funds.
The sources have clarified that there is no allegation of any wrong doing against the actor in the scam and his testimony will only corroborate the working of the group.
They also said as of now he will only be examined as a witness in the case. The sources said money worth some crores have been paid to the actor for his services to the company which is under scanner and his statement will help the agency to understand how the money was spent by the company.
They said the actor is likely to be called in Kolkata for recording his statement. The CBI, on the directions of the Supreme Court, recently began its probe in the case in which it has registered three cases in West Bengal alone.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Watch: Hafiz Saeed warns India of more terror attacks
- DNA: Army declares all soldiers in Siachen avalanche dead
- DNA: Indian Navy set to conduct International Fleet Review 2016
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Will wipe out BJP and Congress from the country: Akbaruddin Owaisi
- Ahead of 'Kashmir Solidarity Day', Hafiz Saeed's JuD releases controversial video featuring Pakistani Army chief
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Ten Army soldiers missing in Siachen avalanche presumed dead; PM Modi 'salutes' martyrs
- Ravindra Jadeja: Indian all-rounder to get engaged today