Saradha scam: Kunal in custody of Howrah district police
Howrah: Howrah district police on Saturday took custody of suspended Trinamool Congress MP Kunal Ghosh, who was arrested in connection with the Saradha Group ponzi scam a week ago.
When Ghosh was produced before the Howrah chief judicial magistrate Arun Kumar Nandi, he was remanded to seven days` police custody.
Jayanta Bera, an agent of the Saradha group had filed a police complaint of cheating on May five against the group`s chairman Sudipta Sen.
Though Kunal Ghosh`s name was not in the FIR, the district police took him into custody to ascertain whether he had any connection with the case here.
Before entering the court, the Rajya Sabha MP told reporters that he had been framed. He had been arrested by the Bidhannagar police in North 24 Parganas district on November 23. A Bidhannagar court yesterday rejected his bail plea and remanded him to 14-days judicial custody.
Ghosh, the CEO of Saradha Group`s media arm, was charged under sections 420 (cheating), 406 (criminal breach of trust) and 120B (conspiracy) of the IPC.
Saradha Group chairman Sudipta Sen was arrested from Sonmarg in Jammu and Kashmir in April along with two other close associates.
The Saradha Group ran its ponzi business through its four group companies and allegedly amassed over Rs 2,300 crore, as per the ED`s estimate, most of which is yet to be accounted for.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves