Saradha scam: Kunal in custody of Howrah district police
Howrah: Howrah district police on Saturday took custody of suspended Trinamool Congress MP Kunal Ghosh, who was arrested in connection with the Saradha Group ponzi scam a week ago.
When Ghosh was produced before the Howrah chief judicial magistrate Arun Kumar Nandi, he was remanded to seven days` police custody.
Jayanta Bera, an agent of the Saradha group had filed a police complaint of cheating on May five against the group`s chairman Sudipta Sen.
Though Kunal Ghosh`s name was not in the FIR, the district police took him into custody to ascertain whether he had any connection with the case here.
Before entering the court, the Rajya Sabha MP told reporters that he had been framed. He had been arrested by the Bidhannagar police in North 24 Parganas district on November 23. A Bidhannagar court yesterday rejected his bail plea and remanded him to 14-days judicial custody.
Ghosh, the CEO of Saradha Group`s media arm, was charged under sections 420 (cheating), 406 (criminal breach of trust) and 120B (conspiracy) of the IPC.
Saradha Group chairman Sudipta Sen was arrested from Sonmarg in Jammu and Kashmir in April along with two other close associates.
The Saradha Group ran its ponzi business through its four group companies and allegedly amassed over Rs 2,300 crore, as per the ED`s estimate, most of which is yet to be accounted for.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?