SC demands all documents on Birbhum gang-rape from West Bengal
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Friday directed the West Bengal government to place before it the FIR, witness statements, case dairy and the final forensic report in the Birbhum gang-rape case.
Chief Justice P Sathasivam sought these documents after perusing a report by the West Bengal chief secretary on the gang-rape of a 19-year-old girl of Labpur village in the state`s Birbhum district.
"Our feeling is that they have taken some steps, but some more effective steps are needed to be taken," said the chief justice, while impleading the state government in the matter.
The court directed the next hearing on the matter on March 4.
The apex court had on January 24 took suo motu cognizance of the gang-rape, describing it as "very disturbing". The court issued a notice to the West Bengal government and sought a report from the district judge within a week.
It is alleged that the victim was raped by a dozen men on the orders of the village head as punishment for falling in love with a man from a different community.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Watch 15 reports from 15 cities
- Sheena murder case: Unfolding deceit, lies and murder!
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter