SC demands all documents on Birbhum gang-rape from West Bengal
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Friday directed the West Bengal government to place before it the FIR, witness statements, case dairy and the final forensic report in the Birbhum gang-rape case.
Chief Justice P Sathasivam sought these documents after perusing a report by the West Bengal chief secretary on the gang-rape of a 19-year-old girl of Labpur village in the state`s Birbhum district.
"Our feeling is that they have taken some steps, but some more effective steps are needed to be taken," said the chief justice, while impleading the state government in the matter.
The court directed the next hearing on the matter on March 4.
The apex court had on January 24 took suo motu cognizance of the gang-rape, describing it as "very disturbing". The court issued a notice to the West Bengal government and sought a report from the district judge within a week.
It is alleged that the victim was raped by a dozen men on the orders of the village head as punishment for falling in love with a man from a different community.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof