SC issues notice over Saradha chit fund scam
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Thursday issued notice to the centre, West Bengal government, CBI and Securities and Exchange Board of India on a petition seeking transfer of the Saradha chit fund scam investigation to the premier probe agency.
The apex court bench, headed by Chief Justice Altamas Kabir, issued notice on a PIL that had also sought Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) probe into the functioning of all other chit fund companies in the country, as it contended that most of them were indulging in illegal activities.
The West Bengal government, present as a caveator, said they were opposing the PIL as the Calcutta High Court is monitoring the investigation into the Saradha chit fund scam by a special investigating team.
"We are not concerned with it," the court said, directing that the notices were returnable within three weeks.
The court has been moved by two PIL petitioners Subrata Chattoraj and Pritam Kumar Singha Ray.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan