SC seeks WB reply on bail plea of Park Street gang-rape accused
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Tuesday granted another two weeks to West Bengal Government to respond to its notice on a plea by a Park Street gang-rape accused against denial of bail to him by the Calcutta High Court.
A bench of justices AK Patnaik and HL Gokhale had issued notice to the state government on November 26, 2012 and sought its reply within three weeks on a plea by Sumit Bajaj, one of the youths accused of gangraping an Anglo-Indian woman in a car on February 5 last year.
The high court had rejected Bajaj`s bail plea along with that of another accused in the case on October 19, 2012.
The woman was picked up by the youths from the road in front of a pub at up market Park Street area in Kolkata and had allegedly gang-raped her.
In the FIR lodged by the woman on February 9, 2012, she had alleged that she was gang-raped by five youths in a car at gunpoint and was also threatened.
Besides Bajaj, the other accused in the case are Nishad Khan alias Tusi, Nasir Ali, Kadir Khan alias Kadir Sheikh and Mohammad Ali.
While Bajaj, Nishad and Nasir are behind bars, Kadir and Ali are still absconding.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!
- Kapil Sharma organises ‘wedding’ ceremony for married Harbhajan Singh, Geeta Basra?
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- WATCH: From US-made bomb making tools to Quran; here's all unearthed from ISIS secret tunnels