SC takes suo motu cognizance of West Bengal gang-rape
New Delhi: The Supreme Court Friday took suo motu cognizance of the "very disturbing" gang rape of a 19-year old girl in West Bengal`s Birbhum district on basis of a newspaper report and ordered the district judge to submit a report.
A bench of Chief Justice P Sathasivam, Justice Ranjan Gogoi and Justice MY Eqbal, while taking suo motu cognizance of the incident, issued notice to the West Bengal government.
"It is a very disturbing news. We take suo motu cognizance of it," said Chief Justice Sathasivam as he directed the Birbhum district judge to inquire into the matter and submit report in one week.
"The news item published in the Business & Financial News is taken on the file of this court. The district judge, Birbhum district, West Bengal, is directed to inspect the concerned place and submit a report to this court within a period of one week from today (Friday)," the court said.
The court directed its registry to "communicate this order to the district judge immediately" and directed the listing of the matter on Jan 31.
The victim belonging to Labpur village was allegedly gang raped on the orders of the village head as a punishment for falling in love with a man from a different community.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- Shocking! 7 veg food items that may actually be non veg
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Say hello to 'nastiest' star ever
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy