Scam-accused IAS officers sent to police custody
Kolkata: A city court Thursday sent two IAS
officers, one of them retired, to police custody for three days in connection with a Rs 125-crore scam over export of iron ore
to a Chinese firm.
The chief metropolitan magistrate of Bankshall Court
here granted three days` custody of the two accused to the
CID, which is probing the scam, when they were produced before
Additional secretary-ranked Debaditya Chakraborty, who
was on compulsory waiting for some time, and R M Jamir, a
retired IAS officer, who held senior positions in state PSU
West Bengal Essential Commodities Services Corporation
(WBECSC), were called to the CID headquarters yesterday and
It was alleged that Jamir and Chakraborty, during
their tenure as director general and managing director
respectively of the WBECSC, had caused a loss of Rs 125 crore
in connection with the export of iron ore to a Chinese firm in
a joint venture with a private company here.
Though the fiasco took place in 2004-05, action
against the officers was taken only now, though a few other
lower-ranked officials of the private firm and WBECSC were
earlier arrested by the Kolkata Police in connection with the
After the new government took over in West Bengal
last year, the case was handed over to the CID, which
initiated fresh investigation in mid-2011.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!