Scam-accused IAS officers sent to police custody
Kolkata: A city court Thursday sent two IAS
officers, one of them retired, to police custody for three days in connection with a Rs 125-crore scam over export of iron ore
to a Chinese firm.
The chief metropolitan magistrate of Bankshall Court
here granted three days` custody of the two accused to the
CID, which is probing the scam, when they were produced before
Additional secretary-ranked Debaditya Chakraborty, who
was on compulsory waiting for some time, and R M Jamir, a
retired IAS officer, who held senior positions in state PSU
West Bengal Essential Commodities Services Corporation
(WBECSC), were called to the CID headquarters yesterday and
It was alleged that Jamir and Chakraborty, during
their tenure as director general and managing director
respectively of the WBECSC, had caused a loss of Rs 125 crore
in connection with the export of iron ore to a Chinese firm in
a joint venture with a private company here.
Though the fiasco took place in 2004-05, action
against the officers was taken only now, though a few other
lower-ranked officials of the private firm and WBECSC were
earlier arrested by the Kolkata Police in connection with the
After the new government took over in West Bengal
last year, the case was handed over to the CID, which
initiated fresh investigation in mid-2011.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read