School students to plant 15,000 fruit trees in WB
Kolkata: To make Kolkata and its suburbs look greener, school students have come together to organise a plantation drive with 15,000 fruit bearing saplings.
The planting of saplings is being done by students of various school, guides, scouts and NGO workers with help from an event management company.
More than 5000 saplings have already been planted while the remaining will be completed within the coming month.
"This initiative has many benefits. Not only will the city get more oxygen to breathe with these trees, the children are also getting sensitised on the need to protect the environment," said the organiser Zawed Ali of A2Z Events Promotion Entertainment.
He said since the trees are fruit bearing ones, the underprivileged people associated with the campaign can sell those fruits later on to earn a living.
Besides, the fruit trees would help increase the number birds which has been dwindling in the city of late.
After the completion of the plantation drive, the kids plan to embark on another initiative to create a record in the Limca Book by flying 2000 kites at the same time from one place.
"We will do this at Maidan in December to get back the kite flying spirit amongst the youngsters," Ali said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley