Seat-sharing with Trinamool Congress in civic elections
Kolkata: Rejecting demands by a section of
Congress that it should have no truck with Trinamool in next
month`s municipal elections, the West Bengal Congress today
said talks will continue with the ally on seat-sharing.
"Some leaders present at the meeting held at WBPCC chief
Pranab Mukherjee`s residence in Delhi spoke against having a
tie-up with Trinamool Congress.
"But, it was decided that talks should continue with it
for the May 30 elections to the Kolkata Municipal Corporation
and 81 other municipalities," WBPCC working president Pradip
Bhattacherjee said it was decided that two other PCC
leaders Subrata Mukherjee and Manas Bhuniya would hold talks
with TC chief Mamata Banerjee on seat-sharing for the Kolkata
A letter was faxed to Banerjee today seeking to fix up a
date for the talks, he added.
A PCC leader who was present at the meeting said on
condition of anonymity that two Congress MPs from West Bengal
Adhir Chowdhury and Deepa Dasmunshi vehemently opposed
seat-adjustment with the Trinamool Congress.
"There is no question of alliance with the Trinamool
Congress in Murshidabad district," Chowdhury, a party
strong-man in the district was quoted by the leader as saying.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pregnant teen buried alive, wakes up in coffin
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea
- How Hardik Patel got offended when asked about Arvind Kejriwal
- Arvind Kejriwal in Bihar, shown black flags at Patna airport
- After daughter Sheena, Indrani Mukerjea planned to kill son Mikhail?