SEC reviews security arrangements for WB panchayat polls
Kolkata: Ahead of panchayat elections in West Bengal beginning July 11, SEC on Friday reviewed law and order and poll arrangements in a meeting with DMs and SPs of nine districts going to poll in the first three of the five phases.
"It is a formal meeting to assess the situation before going to the main polling process," SEC Secretary Tapas Roy said while briefing media on the meeting chaired by State Election Commissioner Mira Pandey.
Starting from deployment of central force, state armed force and polling personnel, the entire preparation up to the booth-level was discussed in the meeting, he said.
The DMs and SPs have specifically been asked to chalk out detailed deployment plans taking into account available central and state forces in various phases, Roy said.
The districts of Purulia, Bankura and West Midnapore go to poll on July 11 in the first phase, East Midnapore, Hooghly and Burdwan districts on July 15 in the second phase, and Howrah, South 24-Parganas and North 24-Parganas districts on July 19 in the third phase.
Roy said 150 companies of central force (about 15,000 personnel) earmarked for the first phase poll in districts covering Jangalmahal would be deployed immediately on their arrival here on July 8.
Besides, 35,000 state armed forces would be deployed during the first phase, he said.
The SEC has called an-all party meet tomorrow to discuss various issues raised by them and for redressal of their complaints, Roy said.
Later, the DMs and SPs of the nine districts joined a meeting at the state secretariat, where Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee, Chief Secretary Sanjay Mitra, Home Secretary Basudeb Banerjee and DGP Naparajit Mukherjee were present to review law and order in the districts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says