Section of junior doctors resume duty at govt hospitals in WB
Kolkata: Services in four government
hospitals here were hit as strike by junior doctors entered the fourth day Tuesday, even as the government claimed that a section of the protestors had resumed duty in `some places`
and the agitation will be withdrawn soon.
"We have information that a section of the striking
junior doctors have already resumed duty in some places. We
are hopeful that the strike will be formally withdrawn in a
few hours," Director of Medical Education Soumendranath
Banerjee, who met a delegation of the striking doctors
at Swastha Bhavan said they demanded a high-power inquiry into
Saturday`s violence at SSKM Hospital and security for
government hospital doctors.
"We have accepted both the demands," he said.
A notification has been issued for setting up the
inquiry committee and the Principal Secretary of the Health
Department has met city Police Commissioner and Additional
Secretary of the Home Department on the security issue, he
Meanwhile, services in the four of the five referral
hospitals here remained jeopardised till afternoon with
outdoor patients running from pillar to post in search of
The situation was particularly dismal at the
super-speciality SSKM Hospital where violence by relatives of
a dead patient on Saturday triggered off a counter attack by a
section of junior doctors who beat up patients and journalists.
Following the arrest of four junior doctors of the
SSKM, their colleagues from the R G Kar Hospital, Kolkata
Medical College and the National Medical College went on a
strike crippling medical services.
Chief Minister Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee had set a
noon deadline today for the junior doctors to resume work.
At a function here earlier in the day, Health Minister
Surya Kanta Mishra warned the doctors of stern action if
they failed to join duty within the deadline.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list