Security beefed up in West Bengal following Afzal
Kolkata: In the backdrop of the hanging of Parliament attack convict Afzal Guru Saturday morning, the West Bengal police has sent a security alert to all police stations across the state, a senior police official said.
"In the wake of the hanging of Afzal Guru, we have sent security alert to all the police stations and security has been beefed up in all the bordering police station areas", Additional Director General (Law and Order) Surajit Kar Purokayastha told a news agency.
Jaish-e-Mohammad militant, Afzal Guru was convicted in the audacious attack on Parliament in 2001 and hanged in Tihar Jail at 8 AM today in an operation shrouded in secrecy, five days after his mercy plea was rejected by the President.
A resident of Sopore in north Kashmir, 43-year-old Guru was sentenced to death in 2002 by a special court and the verdict was upheld by the Supreme Court in 2005. His body was buried in the prison premises.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof