Sedition charges dropped against Chhatradhar Mahato
Jhargram: A fast-track court on Thursday dropped the sedition charge against Chhatradhar Mahato, former convener of the People`s Committee Against Police Atrocities, but he will remain behind bars in other cases.
The additional sessions judge in West Midnapore district dropped the sedition charge against Mahato for lack of evidence.
Mahato will continue to remain in prison in 31 other cases against him.
Mahato had founded the PCPA after alleged police atrocities following the November 2, 2008 bomb blast targeting the convoy of former West Bengal chief minister Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee`s when he was returning from Salboni in the district.
Mahato was arrested after he gave an interview to police posing as journalists on September 26, 2009.
PCPA members had stopped the New-Delhi-Bhubaneshwer Rajdhani Express at Banstala in West Midnapore district on October 27, 2009 to secure the release of Mahato.
The Calcutta High Court had declared him a political prisoner last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Meanwhile, Russian forces arrive in Pakistan for `Friendship 2016` joint military drill