Sedition charges dropped against Chhatradhar Mahato
Jhargram: A fast-track court on Thursday dropped the sedition charge against Chhatradhar Mahato, former convener of the People`s Committee Against Police Atrocities, but he will remain behind bars in other cases.
The additional sessions judge in West Midnapore district dropped the sedition charge against Mahato for lack of evidence.
Mahato will continue to remain in prison in 31 other cases against him.
Mahato had founded the PCPA after alleged police atrocities following the November 2, 2008 bomb blast targeting the convoy of former West Bengal chief minister Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee`s when he was returning from Salboni in the district.
Mahato was arrested after he gave an interview to police posing as journalists on September 26, 2009.
PCPA members had stopped the New-Delhi-Bhubaneshwer Rajdhani Express at Banstala in West Midnapore district on October 27, 2009 to secure the release of Mahato.
The Calcutta High Court had declared him a political prisoner last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Sunil Grover responds to Kapil Sharma’s ‘sorry’ tweet, says ‘don’t act like a God’
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what