Sen undecided on appearing in Lok Sabha
Kolkata: Calcutta High Court judge Justice Soumitra Sen, who sent his resignation in writing to the President on Saturday, has not yet decided on appearing in the Lok
Sabha, if it went ahead with his impeachment proceedings on Monday.
On being asked, whether Justice Sen would appear before the Lower House, which has scheduled the debate on Monday, his lawyer Subhas Bhattacharya told a news agency, "He has not yet decided, whether to go or not because of a medical emergency in his family."
Bhattacharya also said, no official communication has been received from the Lok Sabha about the schedule on Monday.
"Since the resignation letter, written and signed by Justice Sen, has been received by the office of the President, it is expected that the Parliament may not proceed further,"
The impeachment motion against Justice Sen was passed with an overwhelming majority by the Rajya Sabha on August 18.
The Lok Sabha has scheduled the motion on September 5 at 2:00 pm.
Justice Sen`s resignation to President Pratibha Patil on Thursday raised questions on the fate of the impeachment proceedings in the Lok Sabha. However, Attorney General G E
Vahanvati is understood to have advised the government that it is too late to stop the process since it has already begun.
As per procedure, both Houses of Parliament have to pass the motion in the same session after, which the address is sent to the President for removal from office of a Supreme Court or High Court judge found guilty of misconduct.
53-year-old Sen was found guilty of misappropriating Rs 33.23 lakh under his custody as a court-appointed receiver in the capacity of a lawyer, and misrepresenting facts before
a Calcutta court in a 1983 case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets