Separate booth for sex workers in West Bengal polls
Kalyani: In a bid to woo voters in the
West Bengal`s red light areas, the Election Commission has supported a move to have a separate booth for sex workers in
Nadia district where polling will be held on April 23.
"The Election Commission has granted a special booth
to be used exclusively by sex workers of Shantipur in Nadia at
our proposal," District Magistrate Sanjay Bansal told PTI
Four female election department workers will be in charge
of the booth at Durgamani High School in the red light area, Bansal said.
The names of 75 sex workers and their families existed
on the electoral rolls in Shantipur constituency, but only 20
per cent turned up to vote in the last elections.
After observing that the majority of sex workers stayed
away from voting as they faced insults from other people in
the queue, the Nadia administration took the step of arranging
an exclusive booth, said Bansal.
"When we came to know the reason why many sex workers
did not turn up to vote, we stepped in and informed the State
Election Commission for allowing a separate booth for them.
This was forwarded to the Election Commission of India,"
"The Commission granted permission for a separate
booth. The move is rare in India and probably for the first
time in West Bengal," Bansal said.
The Nadia administration also enlisted new names of
sex workers from the red light area with the rolls having 122
additional ones to the existing 75, taking the total to 197.
The permission for a separate booth was granted a day
before Holi and the sex workers received the news by dabbing colours on each other.
Some sex workers, however, were not happy with the
arrangement as they felt a separate booth would further
"Maybe, it is a good effort, but from the other point
of view we will be isolated from the society when a separate
booth is arranged for us," said a sex worker requesting
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- WATCH: At 430/9, India needed 24 runs to avoid follow on. What Kapil Dev did next will blow your mind!
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it