Set up corpus fund to compensate chit fund investors: Congress
Bhubaneswar: Accusing Odisha government of failing to protect interest of small investors duped by different chit fund companies in the state, opposition Congress today demanded creation of a corpus fund along the lines of West Bengal to compensate them.
We hope you will show equal amount of empathy as West Bengal. This is because the government has to take responsibility for mistakes by its functionaries, Odisha PCC president Niranjan Patnaik wrote to Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik.
Stating that there was phenomenal growth in non-banking and MFIs in the state, the OPCC president said these organizations had flouted rules laid down by RBI and cooperative laws and announced various ponzi schemes to defraud lakhs of small depositors of crores of rupees causing misery and hardship.
"Such incidents of cheating and fraud are not new and yet the government has been a mute spectator, intervening with criminal investigations only after people have lost their deposits ... What is the point in waking up after the horse has bolted, he asked.
I specifically demand that the state takes vicarious liability for mistakes in law enforcement and poor regulation and compensate the depositors to mitigate the hardship of the investors partially."
The Congress leader said the chief minister must be aware of speculations about involvement of some BJD MLAs with some of these institutions, particularly Saradha Group in Puri district and called for thorough probe and exemplary punishment of the concerned people.
However, till investigation was completed the enforcement mechanism should be strengthened and interim measures be taken to prevent further crimes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- DNA: 50-lane traffic jam in China during national holiday
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar polls: Two surveys predict majority for Grand Alliance, one give edge to NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?