Set up corpus fund to compensate chit fund investors: Congress
Bhubaneswar: Accusing Odisha government of failing to protect interest of small investors duped by different chit fund companies in the state, opposition Congress today demanded creation of a corpus fund along the lines of West Bengal to compensate them.
We hope you will show equal amount of empathy as West Bengal. This is because the government has to take responsibility for mistakes by its functionaries, Odisha PCC president Niranjan Patnaik wrote to Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik.
Stating that there was phenomenal growth in non-banking and MFIs in the state, the OPCC president said these organizations had flouted rules laid down by RBI and cooperative laws and announced various ponzi schemes to defraud lakhs of small depositors of crores of rupees causing misery and hardship.
"Such incidents of cheating and fraud are not new and yet the government has been a mute spectator, intervening with criminal investigations only after people have lost their deposits ... What is the point in waking up after the horse has bolted, he asked.
I specifically demand that the state takes vicarious liability for mistakes in law enforcement and poor regulation and compensate the depositors to mitigate the hardship of the investors partially."
The Congress leader said the chief minister must be aware of speculations about involvement of some BJD MLAs with some of these institutions, particularly Saradha Group in Puri district and called for thorough probe and exemplary punishment of the concerned people.
However, till investigation was completed the enforcement mechanism should be strengthened and interim measures be taken to prevent further crimes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- IT raids Delhi's Axis bank branch, finds Rs 100 cr deposited in 44 fake accounts
- Demonetisation: Majority of ATMs still out of cash
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- This happens only in Pakistan? You won't believe what this boy did in front of his lady teacher - WATCH
- Kapil Sharma is sweating it out! See pics
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- Unseen Video: On Yuvraj Singh, Hazel Keech's wedding reception, MS Dhoni greets couple with a hug