Seven pilgrims die in West Bengal as bus overturns
Burdwan: Seven pilgrims were killed and 11 injured when a bus, on way from Tarapith to Kolkata, overturned on NH 2 at Gurap in Hooghy district on Sunday.
The bus, carrying over 30 pilgrims from Vaishali district in Bihar, was on a tour of religious places in the region and had arrived at Tarapith Kali temple only Saturday from Deoghar`s Basukinath temple in neighbouring Jharkhand, Burdwan Superintendent of Police SMH Mirza said.
The accident spot was not very far away from Burdwan district.
The 11 injured were being treated at Burdwan Medical College and Hospital where the condition of some was stated to be critical, Mirza said.
The SP said the driver probably lost control and the vehicle overturned twice as local people started rescue operation soon afterwards alerted by the screams.
Other injured passengers of the bus were being treated at Dhaniakhali Rural Hospital.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!