Seven pilgrims die in West Bengal as bus overturns
Burdwan: Seven pilgrims were killed and 11 injured when a bus, on way from Tarapith to Kolkata, overturned on NH 2 at Gurap in Hooghy district on Sunday.
The bus, carrying over 30 pilgrims from Vaishali district in Bihar, was on a tour of religious places in the region and had arrived at Tarapith Kali temple only Saturday from Deoghar`s Basukinath temple in neighbouring Jharkhand, Burdwan Superintendent of Police SMH Mirza said.
The accident spot was not very far away from Burdwan district.
The 11 injured were being treated at Burdwan Medical College and Hospital where the condition of some was stated to be critical, Mirza said.
The SP said the driver probably lost control and the vehicle overturned twice as local people started rescue operation soon afterwards alerted by the screams.
Other injured passengers of the bus were being treated at Dhaniakhali Rural Hospital.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security
- Manbir Kaur becomes first Sikh girl in Pakistan to top Class 10 exam