Seven pilgrims die in West Bengal as bus overturns
Burdwan: Seven pilgrims were killed and 11 injured when a bus, on way from Tarapith to Kolkata, overturned on NH 2 at Gurap in Hooghy district on Sunday.
The bus, carrying over 30 pilgrims from Vaishali district in Bihar, was on a tour of religious places in the region and had arrived at Tarapith Kali temple only Saturday from Deoghar`s Basukinath temple in neighbouring Jharkhand, Burdwan Superintendent of Police SMH Mirza said.
The accident spot was not very far away from Burdwan district.
The 11 injured were being treated at Burdwan Medical College and Hospital where the condition of some was stated to be critical, Mirza said.
The SP said the driver probably lost control and the vehicle overturned twice as local people started rescue operation soon afterwards alerted by the screams.
Other injured passengers of the bus were being treated at Dhaniakhali Rural Hospital.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know